Flash forward
I would return to Miami just over a year after I’d left, ready to implement our plan to help elect John Kerry, I called through my old high school friends—most of them just once—to see if I could recruit anyone. I had little, fleeting fantasies about gathering former classmates and teachers in our living room and laying out the rap and signing them on as Precinct Leaders. The fantasies quickly fleeted. One girl, who probably knows less about what happened in the 80’s than I do, even had it out with me. I IMed her, and she asked how I was doing…
well i'm back in south florida
i'm a field organizer for moveon
is that a politics thing?
do you know the site?
yeah.
i have heard
to get bush out of office?
oh yeah baby
those are the words i like to hear
ha ha
i have heard of it...
anyway, things are coming along very well
extremely well
thats great- whats new
and i've managed to snag myself the pinecrest precincts
so i'm in charge of recruiting people from pinecrest to be canvassers, and get our whole little township to the polls
ah ok
do you know anyone back here who would be interested
not really
is this pro-kerry or anti-bush?
well
we're not allowed to coordinate with the kerry campaign
so that takes a little of the kerry out of it
but more importantly
people really hate bush.
i am anti-bush but also anti-kerry…
well he's not my hero or anything…
aren't you better than this greg?
i feel like... you are such a smart guy, and you are now putting your efforts into getting a complete idiot elected to office?
um
i didn't mean that as bitchy as it came out
i just really hate kerry... well bush too- both.
i mean, i don't like any politician
right...
but i'd rather have things be politics as usual
i just didn't think you would do this...
She didn’t faze me. I didn’t have time to be fazed, but it wasn’t just that. I felt a little sorry for her.
well i'm back in south florida
i'm a field organizer for moveon
is that a politics thing?
do you know the site?
yeah.
i have heard
to get bush out of office?
oh yeah baby
those are the words i like to hear
ha ha
i have heard of it...
anyway, things are coming along very well
extremely well
thats great- whats new
and i've managed to snag myself the pinecrest precincts
so i'm in charge of recruiting people from pinecrest to be canvassers, and get our whole little township to the polls
ah ok
do you know anyone back here who would be interested
not really
is this pro-kerry or anti-bush?
well
we're not allowed to coordinate with the kerry campaign
so that takes a little of the kerry out of it
but more importantly
people really hate bush.
i am anti-bush but also anti-kerry…
well he's not my hero or anything…
aren't you better than this greg?
i feel like... you are such a smart guy, and you are now putting your efforts into getting a complete idiot elected to office?
um
i didn't mean that as bitchy as it came out
i just really hate kerry... well bush too- both.
i mean, i don't like any politician
right...
but i'd rather have things be politics as usual
i just didn't think you would do this...
She didn’t faze me. I didn’t have time to be fazed, but it wasn’t just that. I felt a little sorry for her.

<< Home